Hazelden Launches Mobile MORE Field Guid to Life
FAMED ADDICTION TREATMENT ORGANIZATION HAZELDEN LAUNCHES MOBILE MORE FIELD GUIDE TO LIFE, A NEW IPHONE APP FOR PEOPLE IN RECOVERY.
CENTER CITY, Minn., January 23, 2012 – A groundbreaking new iPhone application designed as an interactive recovery support tool for the millions of Americans who are in recovery from addiction to alcohol and other drugs has been released by Hazelden, one of the world’s largest and most respected private, nonprofit alcohol and drug addiction treatment organizations. Called the Mobile MORE Field Guide to Life, the Hazelden iPhone app, which is accessible to the entire sober community through the iTunes App Store, is based on MORE (My Ongoing Recovery Experience), Hazelden’s award-winning evidence-based web program of personalized continuing care that is provided exclusively to Hazelden’s clients.
Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, the new Field Guide to Life app creates a supportive bridge between a recovering addict’s treatment and the challenges of the world outside of addiction treatment. Hazelden’s Field Guide to Life app comes in three volumes: "The Basics," "Owning It" and "The New You!" In working through each of the volumes, users progress through the stages of recovery over the course of one year. Hazelden designed the app for the entire spectrum of the sober community, from people new to recovery who are just out of treatment to the millions of people who wish to renew their recovery.
"Finding recovery support after treatment is essential to preventing relapse and maximizing a person’s chance of sustaining long-term sobriety," said Nick Motu, Vice President and COO of Hazelden." The Field Guide to Life marries Hazelden’s expertise in addiction recovery with mobile technology, leveraging social and location-based technology to offer those in recovery the guidance and support they need as they grow and evolve in their new lives."
Each volume of Hazelden’s Field Guide to Life is rich with content and functions based on current brain research and best practices in supporting sobriety and evolving recovery, including:
- Daily Guidance and Inspiration
- Each day, a new message of guidance and inspiration is delivered in a sequence designed to support the user’s stage of recovery, followed by related activities. Users can share their daily message with a friend and mark their favorites with a note.
- Weekly Video-Based Challenges
- Each challenge is designed to reinforce actions that result in positive change for people in recovery. The challenges are delivered via pop-up notifications that lead to a video launching the activity. Individuals can check off each challenge as they are completed. Videos feature a variety of people in recovery, including recovery advocate William Cope Moyers.
- Tools for Tracking Personal Progress and Trends
- A sober counter allows individuals to monitor the days, hours, minutes and seconds that they’ve been in recovery. Users may also monitor their biggest obstacles to successful recovery such as stress, anger or anxiety, as well as motivators such as meditation, honesty and exercise. A cumulative view reveals the biggest threats to the individual’s recovery and the strategies that they most often choose to overcome them.
- Community Support System and Meeting Finder
- Users may designate key supporters to be alerted via call or text with one touch of the "Get Help Now" button. The meeting finder function offers one-touch access to easily locate the nearest Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.
- Relapse Prevention and Response Planner
- Users are given the tools to learn about preventing relapse and create personalized relapse prevention and response plans to help them stay on track.
Each volume in the app’s trilogy concludes with a message of congratulations and a direct link to purchase the next app in the sequence.
The Mobile MORE Field Guide to Life is available for $6.99 in the App Store on iTunes beginning January 23. Search for Hazelden in the App Store and download the Mobile MORE Field Guide to Life, which will include "The Basics." The other two volumes may then be purchased for $6.99 each within the app itself. Visit www.hazelden.org/fieldguide to view a short video of the app in action.
- Rich Fahle