There are currently more than 25 benzodiazepines marketed in the US. Some of the most common are listed below.
Physicians may prescribe a different type based on their experience and their knowledge of individual patients.
Learn More About Benzo Addiction Symptoms, Withdrawal, and Treatment Options
- Benzodiazepine Addiction
- Ashton Manual
- Benzodiazepine Addiction Symptoms
- Benzodiazepine Withdrawal
- Benzodiazepine Treatment
Used for generalized anxiety disorders and panic attacks:
- Alprazolam (Xanax®)
- Triazolam (Halcion®)
- Lorazepam (Ativan®)
Used to treat insomnia:
- Temazapam (Restoril®)
- Flurazapam (Dalmane®)
- Estazolam (ProSom®)
For acute seizures:
- Midazolam (Versed®) – Alprazolam injectable may also be used.
- Diazepam (Valium®)
- Alcohol withdrawal, detoxification:
- Chlordiazepoxide (Librium®)
Parasomnia – abnormal sleep patterns and dreams:
- Clonazepam (Klonopin®)