Bulimia Nervosa, commonly shortened to Bulimia, is an eating disorder best characterized by the cyclical episodes of bingeing and purging. Bulimics do not simply decide one afternoon to binge and purge; rather they seek out reasons to do so. For example, if a bulimic is enduring a difficult situation that is causing stress and anger, he or she may binge and purge to avoid direct confrontation with those feelings while simultaneously expressing them.
Behavioral signs linked to Bulimia Nervosa include:
- Cycles of bingeing, suffering subsequent guilt, then purging
- An acknowledged inability to control eating behaviors
- Chronically assuming stringent diets and exercise plans
- Use or abuse of diet pills, laxatives or diuretics
- Excessive interest in body image
- Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorder Signs and Symptoms
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Binge Eating
- Eating Disorder Treatment
- Eating Disorders Online Community
SupportGroups.com is for individuals, friends and families who are looking to connect during life's challenging times. Share personal experiences, evaluate information and get support during times of need, illness, treatment or recovery.