- What Is Addiction?
- Prescription Drug
- Teens and
- Video Game
Tips for Successful Addiction Recovery
When it comes to addiction recovery, everyone’s needs are different.
For many people struggling with addiction, deciding to make a change is the hardest step. Finding help and staying on track may seem impossible, but recovery is never out of reach.
Here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind on the road to recovery.
- Remember that recovery comes first. Make yourself the priority. Stay in touch with professionals you know who can give you advice and provide you with treatment options.
- Change your environment. Remove reminders of addiction from your home and workplace. Surround yourself with positive people, and replace your old habits with healthy new ones.
- Communicate. Addiction can be very isolating, so it is important to openly communicate with friends and family about your recovery. Though this may be difficult, their support system will help you stay motivated and focused.
- Exercise and eat well. Getting out for 30 to 60 minutes each day will do wonders for your physical and mental health. Maintaining a healthy diet is another important aspect of a successful recovery.
- Join a recovery group. Spending time with people in similar situations can be very therapeutic. Whether you join a support group or recovery network, make attending meetings a priority.
- Build a sober social network. If your previous friendship circle revolved around drugs or alcohol, consider making new connections. Surround yourself with sober friends who will support your recovery.
- Don’t give up. Even if you’ve tried and failed before, do not give up or give in to the disease. Continually remind yourself that change is possible with the right treatment and support.