- What Is Addiction?
- Prescription Drug
- Teens and
- Video Game
Herbal cures for drug addiction
Herbal remedies, though not a cure for drug addiction, can help ease some of the symptoms that go along with withdrawal and recovery.
Before taking herbs or other supplements, it's important to speak with your doctor; some herbs may pose a danger when mixed with prescription or over-the-counter medications.
Here are a few natural herbs to ease the symptoms of withdrawal.
- Nervous system. Herbs that help calm the nervous system can be helpful in treating the anxiety and insomnia that often accompany drug addiction. Chammomile, peppermint and skullcap can all help to induce a relaxed, sedated state.
- Detoxification. Herbs like burdock root and echinacea will enhance blood cleansing, helping the body to detox and eliminate free radicals. Milk thistle has a powerful detoxification effect on the liver, which is the main organ responsible for filtering out harmful substances.
- Cravings. Kudzu root – a traditional Chinese tea – is sometimes used to help reduce cravings for alcohol, while ginseng has been known to help improve appetite and regulate metabolic stress associated with drug addiction recovery.
- Depression. Depression that occurs during recovery can be treated with valerian root, which is particularly helpful for recovering cocaine addicts or alcoholics. St. John's wort is also a well-known herb used for the treatment of mood disorders.
- Immune system. Recovering addicts can also benefit from herbs that strengthen the immune system, such as ginseng and astragalus – the latter is commonly used to help those who suffer from recurring colds or flus.